How to delete 6.7 Powerstroke
- Author: SPELAB Mechanical Engineer (focusing on car modification for 10 years)
Ford developed the 6.7L Powerstroke engines as a result of the strict emissions rules. At the expense of engine power and performance, the 6.7 Powerstroke has less harmful emissions. There are also some potential drawbacks with the sophisticated emission technologies, which are explained below.
Drawbacks of DPF and EGR system
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), which collects the soot particles, produced by burning diesel, is first and foremost prone to clogging. Second, this DPF generates a lot of backpressure, which severely impairs the turbocharger's performance. Last but not least, it would be very expensive to replace this DPF system if it malfunctioned. Replacement costs can reach to $5,000.
On the other hand, a vehicle's Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), which is installed before to the exhaust system and reduces performance and efficiency even further, directs some of the exhaust gases back into the intake chamber. These already burnt gases does not aid in burning the fuel and therefore, our vehicle’s performance is affected. EGR delete and DPF delete are consequently fitted to the automobiles for improved performance and efficiency.
Why delete EGR or DPF?
We have minimized harmful emissions with the help Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), but all this at the expense of engine performance and economy. Also, if a fault with these systems developed, it would be very expensive to fix or replace, as mentioned above in the article. Hence, in order to improve the performance, efficiency and maintenance of their vehicles, consumers eliminate all those operations. The benefits that a person experiences with his or her automobile after installing a deletion kit includes the following
- Enhanced engine performance
- Improved acceleration and throttle response
- Enhanced fuel efficiency
- Improved turbocharger effectiveness and reliability
- Enhanced horsepower and torque
- Reduced maintenance expenses
How to delete DPF?
DPF delete involves deleting the part of exhaust system, from the downpipe till the muffler. Basically, a pipe is connected from downpipe to the muffler and all the components in between are removed. The components in between includes the following
- Diesel particulate filter
- Diesel oxidation catalyst
- Catalytic converter
It does not necessitate mentioning that when so many crucial components of an emission system are removed, the Engine Control Unit (ECU) will undoubtedly experience issues because it won't receive the necessary signals from the various emission system components. Without signals, the ECU will be unable to adjust for other parameters and will undoubtedly experience problems. Your engine will thus suffer and perform worse in every way. So, in order for a vehicle's computer system to operate well, it is crucial that we approach the problem deftly. The vehicle's ECU must be specifically tuned for that purpose in order to get superior performance and characteristics. With the right tuning, we will see a lot of power and efficiency.
How to delete EGR?
EGR of a vehicle consists of an EGR valve and EGR cooler. The exhaust gases pass through the EGR valve to the EGR cooler where they are cooled and then directed to the intake system. Deleting an EGR is comparatively complex as compared to DPF deletion, because it requires replacing some hoses, and blocking the ports for air flow.
6.7 Powerstroke delete in a nutshell
Following are given the steps to completely delete 6.7 Powerstroke
- Disconnect the battery and remove MAP sensor
- Remove the intake air hose and the vacuum pipe which is connected to EGR EGR
- Take out the EGR by opening the bolts and also remove the vacuum hose which are attached to the top of EGR
- After you remove your EGR, put your gasket on and over gasket put the blocking plate and tighten the screws. This will block the air from entering back to the engine
- Install the EGR delete pipe at the place where there was EGR install
- Connect the hoses and your EGR delete is done, followed by proper tuning which has to be performed
- For DPF delete, simply unbolt the part of exhaust system after the exhaust manifold and before muffler
- Install the DPF delete pipe in between manifold and muffler. This will remove all the components in between
- After all this physical work, take your vehicle to a tuner and fine tune your vehicle.
- Once the tuning is successful, you have deleted 6.7 Powerstroke
The EGR, DOC, SCR, and DPF are the four main emissions control mechanisms of the 6.7 Powerstroke engine. Because the DPF system can clog and malfunction, necessitating costly replacements and it also decreases the effectiveness of the turbocharger, thus, getting rid of it is a popular way to increase performance, gas mileage, and reliability. Unfortunately, a DPF delete is not permitted in terms of emissions, and can lead to problems with registration and inspections. Depending on the requirement of person he can opt for complete delete or not, but overall it is not recommended.