Get the Most Out of Your Diesel Truck with Delete Kits
- Author: SPELAB Mechanical Engineer (focusing on car modification for 10 years)
Diesel trucks like the Ram 2500 and Ford Super Duty are designed for hauling and towing heavy loads. Their diesel engines offer tons of low-end torque. But all that power comes at a price - complex emissions equipment that robs horsepower and fuel efficiency. That's where delete kits come in.
Delete kits remove or bypass troublesome emissions components so your truck can operate at peak performance. In this blog post, we’ll cover what a delete kit is, why truck owners install them, and things to consider before doing your own diesel delete.
What is a Diesel Delete Kit?
Diesel delete kits disable or remove specific emissions control components on the truck's engine. This includes:
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) -Reroutes hot exhaust gases back into the engine to lower combustion temperatures and reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. But EGR systems reduce power and fuel economy while increasing soot and maintenance costs. An EGR delete kit removes the EGR passages, so exhaust flow is not rerouted.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) –Traps soot and particulate emissions from the exhaust. But DPFs must undergo “regeneration” to clear the built-up soot, which hurts fuel efficiency. A DPF delete kit removes it entirely.
- Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) -Oxidizes hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into less harmful compounds. A DOC delete kit removes this component from the exhaust system.
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) -Uses diesel exhaust fluid injection to reduce NOx emissions. An SCR delete kit disables this system.
So, in summary, delete kits target components added solely to meet emissions regulations, not improve performance. Removing them unleashes the engine’s true power and efficiency.
Why Do Diesel Owners Install Delete Kits?
There are several motivations for installing a diesel delete kit:
- Increased Horsepower and Torque - Emissions equipment adds restriction that hampers engine output. A full delete kit can add 50-100 hp and up to 200 lb-ft of torque. More power improves acceleration and towing ability.
- Better Fuel Economy - Deleting the EGR, DPF, and SCR systems reduces fuel consumption. Owners report MPG gains of up to 20% from deletes. That saves money at the pump.
- Lower EGTs - Removing the EGR system lowers exhaust gas temperatures entering the turbocharger and engine. This enhances turbo and engine longevity.
- Less Maintenance -No more DPF cleanings or EGR valve issues. Deleting problem components reduces downtime and maintenance costs.
Of course, increased performance and fuel economy are the main incentives. But for many diesel owners, removing bothersome, high-maintenance components is reason enough.
Top Delete Kits for RAM 2500 and Ford Super Duty Trucks
2015 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins Delete Kits
The 2015-2018 RAM 2500 with 6.7L Cummins diesel is an excellent tow rig right from the factory. But a full delete kit adds more capability while removing problematic emissions components prone to failure. Popular options include:
- SPELAB 2015 RAM 2500 Delete Kit- This kit deletes the EGR and EGR cooler and the diesel throttle valve for simplified turbo boost control. Gains around 65 hp and 150 lb-ft. Plus, it comes with custom tunes to optimize power gains.
- H&S Mini Maxx -A tuner and delete kit combo focused on the EGR system. Removes the EGR valve and cooler while adding a straight exhaust pipe instead of the EGR loop. Provides extra power while lowering EGTs.
- SCT EGR Delete Kit -Another kit option tailored for the 6.7L Cummins EGR system. Redirects exhaust flow and adds plates to block EGR passages. Includes tunes for added performance.
You can expect 65-85 horsepower and 200 additional lb-ft of torque from a proper 2015 RAM 2500 delete kit. Just address transmission upgrades and other components to handle the power boost.
The best tuner for 6.7 Powerstroke delete:
Tuning is crucial when deleting emissions components on Ford Powerstroke diesel engines. After installing a delete kit, a tuner optimizes the engine’s fueling, boost and power output for the new setup. Handheld tuners from companies like SCT, Bully Dog and Omega replace the factory PCM programming with optimized calibrations. They are some of the best tuners for 6.7 Powerstroke Delete.
Proper tuning allows the engine to gain the advertised horsepower and torque increases from the kit, fine-tune transmission shifting, and other parameters. Investing in a tuner along with the delete kit enables your Powerstroke engine to operate at its full performance potential.
Let Your Truck’s True Power Shine Through
Modern diesel trucks must limit their output in stock form to meet emissions regulations. But 6.7 EGR delete kits remove the restrictive equipment holding back your truck’s full potential. More power, torque and MPGs are compelling benefits that you get. Just weigh the legal and warranty trade-offs. And properly maintain your ride for trouble-free operation. Work with experts like the team at SPELAB to delete kit parts, tuning and service. Then enjoy the extra muscle of your deleted RAM or Ford Super Duty diesel!